- South Central Career Center
Spring Semester Students Return to School Plan
The West Plains School District plans for grades 7-12 to return to school in traditional, 5 day seated classes on January 4, 2020. (pending additional guidance, COVID cases in the area, etc.) Currently, 7-12 grade students will continue learning in a hybrid model through the end of the 1st semester. Grades PreK-6 will continue to learn in a 5 day seated classroom environment. The district is continuing to work through preparations, but the following information is available. If additional changes are made, the district will update parents and staff as soon as possible.
2nd Semester Reentry Information
- No changes are being made for grades PreK-4 at this time. PreK-4 students are not required to mask, will continue to attend school as normal, and social distance as much as possible.
- Grades 5-12 will remain masked, and the current opt-out mask clause will change. Only students with a medical excuse or those with disabilities can opt-out of wearing a mask. Because social distancing will be difficult with all of our students on campus, the district will strictly enforce masking policies. Masks will be required on all busses. Specific information regarding masks has been provided here.
- The significant change impacting day to day operation is the change to quarantine requirements for students during the school day. If a building has a positive case on campus during school hours, but all parties (positive case and close contacts) involved have masks on, the close contacts do not have to be quarantined from school. Students will no longer miss school based on being a close contact while in school.
- The exception to quarantine is only relevant to the school day. If a student is a close contact at school, but all parties involved were masked, the student may still come to school assuming they have no symptoms. However, the student will be quarantined from anything other than the school day, including extracurricular activities. The only quarantine exception is the student can attend school during regular school hours.
- All buildings will continue to take temperatures.
- Entry into schools will continue to be restricted to staff and students. Other visitors and volunteers must receive pre-approval from the principal and must wear a mask.
- For parents and students who wish to continue or enroll in virtual/online classes, please visit www.zizzers.org.
Thank you for your continued support, and should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me by calling 256-6155.
Superintendent of Schools
West Plains School District