Dear Zizzer Families,
Due to the volume of COVID-19 cases, the Howell County Health Department recently notified the West Plains School District it will no longer provide personalized releases from isolation forms (positive and quarantine information) to schools and employers. Because we will no longer receive positive and quarantine information from the HCHD, the district will temporarily discontinue the COVID-19 Dashboard. The dashboard represented the number of students and staff confirmed COVID-19 positive cases as well quarantines.
Since January 1, 2022, 218 staff and students have reported being positive for COVID-19. There are a total of 3,130 students and staff in the district.
Below are the current protocols to stay in school - Click Here for the full Update to the Safe Return to In-Person and Continuity of Service Plans (SRCSP).
- Students or staff who display symptoms of COVID-19 while at school will be moved to a designated sick area within the school building to minimize contact with others until they go home.
- Students or staff who test positive for COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days from the onset of symptoms. They may return to school after 5 days but must wear a mask for the next 5 days. This includes vaccinated individuals who test positive.
Staff and students who are asymptomatic but test positive must quarantine at home for 5 days from positive test date. They will also wear a mask for 5 days upon return. This includes vaccinated individuals who test positive.
- Those identified as close contacts with COVID-positive individuals will not be excluded from school unless they exhibit COVID symptoms.
- Those who choose to attend school after being in close contact with a COVID-positive individual will be screened for COVID symptoms upon entering school. Symptomatic individuals may return to school with a negative test, a note from a doctor stating the symptoms are unrelated to COVID, or 24 hours after symptoms have subsided.
- Those in close contact with a COVID positive individual in their home will be excluded from school for 5 days to monitor themselves or will have the option to test to stay, as tests are available. Students must be fever-free for 24 hours if symptoms arise.
- In conjunction with recommendations from the CDC, an athlete may be eligible to start the return to play stages/progression and be released from quarantine after 5 days have passed since symptoms first appeared AND have had no fever (≥100.4F) for 24 hours without fever-reducing medication and significant improvement of mild symptoms (cough, runny nose, sore throat), OR, Student never had symptoms but tested positive and has been 5 days since positive test. All Return to Play protocols must be met.
- As with any communicable disease, there is a chance of exposure to COVID 19 in the school setting. The district will no longer inform parents if your child was in close contact with a positive case.
We will continue to update the COVID-19 webpage with announcements and other resources.
Thank you for taking the time to read this update. Please contact us at the district office if you have any questions.
Dr. Lori Wilson
Superintendent of Schools
West Plains School District