PLTW Biomedical Science
WPHS offers a full PLTW biomedical program!
- MD - introductory version of high school courses, medium rigor, 7th/8th
- PBS - 1st yr, biology/chemistry based, mostly freshmen
- HBS - 2nd yr, anatomy based, mostly sophomores
- MI - 3rd yr, biochemistry based,junior/senior
- BI - 4th yr, capstone course, work on solving real world problems, seniors
PLTW Class Goals
- Increase ability and desire to independently learn new things
- Develop/acquire real world soft skills while working with others
- Demonstrate mastery of content with lab skills and exams
What makes a PLTW class unique?
- No textbook
- Little/no lectures
- No required homework
- Students have jobs to help class run
- Rigorous real life curriculum
- Students can be independent and creative
- Consistent hands-on experiences
- College credit available for all high school courses
Good news about our biomedical program:
- WPHS was chosen to host the first live biomedical PLTW showcase in the US!
- In 5 years, 90+ biomedical students have earned college credit eligibility! (worth +$80,000)
- See our pics on Twitter (@wphssci)
- Or on Instagram (@pltwbiomed)
How do I earn my customized white lab coat?
- Earn an 88% or higher in 3 semesters of high school biomedical PLTW classes.
- Chosen name on front right, sponsor and PLTW logo on left
- Chevrons on left sleeve show every class completed
- Badges on right sleeve show college credit earned
- Yearly ceremony is held to award earned white coats and praise recipients
- Proudly sponsored by Ozarks Health Care
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, @wphssci on Twitter!
Phone: (417)256-6150 ext. 6132