WEST PLAINS R-VII SCHOOL DISTRICT
ENGLISH AS SECOND LANGUAGE PROGRAM
Zoe Clinton, ESL Instructor- District WideAmy Ross Ed.D., Director of Special Services
Jack Randolph Ed.D., High School PrincipalWhitney Orchard, High School CounselorRaegan Fox, High School CounselorJennifer Edgeller, High School Counselor
Erica Walker, West Plains Middle School Principal
Courtney Hughes-Counselor-Middle School
Donnie Miller, West Plains Elementary Principal
Michelle Miller-Counselor-West Plains Elementary School
Laurie Shrable-Counselor-West Plains Elementary School
Seth Huddleston Ed.D., South Fork Elementary Principal
Heather Miller- Counselor, South Fork Elementary
Program Objectives and Goals:
- To increase student’s ability to speak the English language
- To provide parents/guardians information regarding instructional programs available for not only their child but for them to utilize to become a part of our community
- To assess students to determine placement in appropriate classroom environment
- Parents to be actively involved with their child’s education
ESL/ELL/ESOL-The West Plains R-7 School District recognizes the need to provide equal educational opportunities for all students in the district. Therefore, if the inability to speak and understand the English language due to national origin or non-English speaking environments excludes a student from effective participation in the educational programs offered by the district, the district takes appropriate action to rectify the English language deficiency in order to provide the student equal access to it programs.
The district provides the following:
· Student identification though the use of a Student Home Language survey. All new and currently enrolled students complete the Home Language Survey in each campus location. The building administrator will implement procedures to ensure the completion of the survey on an annual basis.
· Any student who indicates the use of language other than English will be assessed for English proficiency using the state-provided assessment WIAT Screening. The assessment includes all the modalities of reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
· Determination of appropriate instructional environment for ESL students. Types of services provided by the district are, but not limited to: tutoring and ESL Services.
· Annually assess the English proficiency of ESL/ELL/ESOL students and monitor the progress of students receiving ESL/ELL/ESOL or bilingual instruction in order to determine their readiness for the mainstream classroom environment.
· Provide parent with notice and information regarding the instructional program as required by law. Parental involvement will be encouraged and parents will be regularly apprised of their child’s progress.
· An interpreter is available to help with communication between the parents, school and community, as needed.